Here at Tempo, we were doing some spring cleaning and realized that it has been a while since we talked about our handy Team Capacity Report feature in Tempo Planner for JIRA. We felt it would be the perfect subject for a quick Tip of the Month before the Tempo Planner 3.0 release.
Whether you’re in development or professional services, your teams are what drive a business and generate its revenue. But those human resources may also be the biggest cost to your business. So, the question is how you may best harness that drive.
Tempo Planner can help you get a firm grasp of who your team members are, what are their role, what are they working on, what they do best, how big is the current demand on their skills. Tempo Planner is a multitool that addresses the various issues that may arise when planning for teams, projects, and programs.
But before you can start planning for your team members, the first question must be: “Are they available?”.
The Team Capacity Report can be accessed from the middle tab on the far left of your team space page or from the far right drop-down menu in the team header. Both tabs are titled “Reports”.
There are three different ways to view the Team Capacity Report: percentage of time planned, estimate of available hours, or effective team size. All of those views can be organized on a daily, weekly, monthly, or quarterly basis.
The rows display the level of commitment/availability of each team member except for the bottom row which displays the team total.
The capacity report takes into account team members working part-time, public holidays, vacations, and team members dividing their time between two or more teams. The totals for overcommitted team members are displayed in orange.
Viewing the Capacity Report by time available gives you an immediate sense of the actual hours you have to work with. Here we have decided to view it on a monthly basis.
In addition to the Team Capacity Report, the upcoming 3.0 release of Tempo Planner will include a Program Capacity Report. With the Program Capacity Report, you will be able to get a handy display of all the above team data for all of the teams sharing that particular program, and get a higher-level way for you to view your team of teams.
Determining the available working hours of each team member and the team as a whole is a crucial first step and one that can be time-consuming for businesses using third party solutions or calculating it manually. Tempo Planner enables you to determine with perfect accuracy the team capacity with the click of a button.
The Tempo Suite of Solutions
Upgrading Tempo Planner is free for all customers with an active license. New customers can purchase or evaluate Tempo Planner for JIRA Server through the Atlassian Marketplace.
GET STARTED WITH TEMPO PLANNER
- Try Tempo Planner for free
- Buy Tempo Planner on the Atlassian Marketplace
- Check out our Tempo Planner Tutorials
- View our Getting Started documentation
TEMPO PLANNER TIPS OF THE MONTH
- Tempo Planner Tip of the Month: Effective Team Management With Workload and Holiday Schemes
- Tempo Planner Tip of the Month: An Easy Way to Use Tempo Teams for Creating Team-Centric Agile Boards for JIRA and Tempo Planner
- Tempo Planner Tip of the Month: Getting Things Done With Iteration Planning
- Tempo Planner Tip of the Month: Configuring Teams for Agile Planning
- Tempo Planner Tip of the Month: Progress of Epics with the Team Backlog
- Tempo Planner Tip of the Month: Recurring Plan Items
- Tempo Planner Tip of the Month: Issue Planning for Champions